Citizens from Australia can enjoy working holidays in the following countries:

Andorra (under negotiation), Austria (under negotiation), Bangladesh (under negotiation), Belgium, Canada, Chile, China, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Iceland (under negotiation), Ireland, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal,South Korea, Singapore (under negotiation), Spain (under negotiation), Sweden, Switzerland (under negotiation), Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United KingdomUnited States of America

Working Holiday Schemes are generally reciprocal arrangements that in most cases allow people aged 18 to 30 years, to spend up to 12 months on holiday in the host country.

In general each country enables you to:

  • stay for 12 months
  • work for a period of time
  • study for a limited time

To be eligible you are required to:

  • show enough funds for your first few weeks in the country
  • have a return ticket or enough money to pay a return ticket or onward fare
  • be between 18 and 30 years of age at the time you apply
  • not be accompanied by dependent children
  • meet character and health requirements
  • hold an Australian passport


There are additional requirements should you wish to visit Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey and Uruguay under the Work and Holiday arrangements. For information on this visit the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship 

To work in the USA under the Work and Holiday arrangements, you will need to be:

  • sponsored by a registered sponsoring organisation. See: Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs
  • have graduated within the last 12 months (from a post-secondary institution)
  • be enrolled as a post-secondary student
  • be enrolled as a post-secondary student and have deferred study

Other opportunities

Other types of visas may also be available. These could include work, student, skilled work or business visas. For the most up to date and accurate information we suggest:

Select the country you wish to visit on our destinations page. Then click on the country’s “other visa information” page.

Or contact the closest Embassy or Consulate of the country you wish to travel to.

Generally, in most countries, if you hold a student or visitor visa – you can volunteer. This is usually providing that you will not receive any gain or reward for the activity you volunteer for i.e. a payment or benefit.  See Volunteer overseas for more information.


, , , , , , , , , ,
Similar Posts
Latest Posts from The International Wanderer