Fed up with the same old 9 to 5? Lacking motivation in your work? Need some experience? Every now and then we find ourselves stuck in a bit of a rut, wondering if the grass really is greener on the other side. It’s easy to daydream about foreign lands when you’re stuck in an office every day, and it’s even easier to get downhearted when your work is not fulfilling you. If this sounds familiar, volunteering in Buenos Aires may be the answer! So don’t panic. Keep calm, and come to Buenos Aires…
Well, here are 5 great reasons to take time out and volunteer in Buenos Aires!
- First of all, there are endless volunteer opportunities which can fill whatever is missing in your current career path. For example, if you’re a newly qualified teacher searching for some inspiration to propel you into the teaching world, volunteering by teaching English in academies and extracurricular sessions could be what you’re looking for! If you work in health, there are projects which can offer you an alternative insight into the medical world providing you with unique experience that you won’t be able to find back home.
- On the other hand, maybe you’re just a bit fed up with that boring office job and fancy a change, in which case there are many sustainable development and construction projects that will get you outside and breaking a sweat. You could be gardening, planting, building, painting, anything that could help make a difference to the community!
- It’s very common for people to turn to volunteering when they feel like something is missing in their career or when they’re struggling to get into the world of work because they lack experience. Either way, there are endless projects in Buenos Aires that can supply you with many new skills; commitment, communication, dedication, flexibility, leadership, responsibility, time management. All of these will help pad out your CV or résumé, and increase your chances of getting that job you’ve always dreamed of!
- More specifically, there are organisations that offer internships in media. So if you’re looking for some experience in communications, journalism, film, radio, or marketing, volunteering in an NGO in Buenos Aires could provide you with experience you simply can’t find anywhere else!
- Volunteering in a Hispanic city will also do wonders for your Spanish proficiency. So if you want an extra language to add to your blossoming CV or résumé, or if you’re looking to improve the Spanish that you learned in school, Buenos Aires is the perfect place as it is full of friendly porteños eager to dive into conversation with you about how fantastic their city is!
Aside from what Buenos Aires can offer you, it’s also important to think about what you – as a volunteer – can bring to its people. Volunteering abroad opens the door to a vast cultural exchange. Not only will you be obtaining new skills in your projects, but the people you work with will be able to learn from you too. Young children will get the chance to encounter a new culture, while the older generations will be able to learn in more detail about your life. It’s also likely that you will have skills and ideas that are unique to you, allowing your project to greatly benefit from your help! Essential ingredients required for volunteering are enthusiasm and spirit, but if you already possess life experience and skills acquired from the world of work, you will notice straightaway the massive impact you are able to have on the lives of the people in Buenos Aires. As a result, volunteering is ideal for those with experience and knowledge to share!
There is only so much that can be learned from reading books or sitting in offices. So if you’re getting disheartened because you cannot seem to find that missing ingredient in day-to-day life, embrace something completely different. If you really want to experience the world, immerse yourself in a foreign culture, and acquire skills that very few of your colleagues and peers can admit to having, volunteering in Buenos Aires is for you.