Working Holiday / Temporary Work

Citizens of the following countries can enjoy working holidays in Iceland:


Working Holiday Schemes are generally reciprocal arrangements that in most cases allow people aged 18 to 30 years, to spend up to 12 months on holiday in the host country.

In general each country enables you to:

  • stay for 12 months
  • work for a period of time 
  • study for a limited time

To be eligible you are required to:

  • show enough funds for your first few weeks in the country
  • have a return ticket or enough money to pay a return ticket or onward fare
  • be between 18 and 30 years of age at the time you apply
  • not be accompanied by dependent children
  • meet character and health requirements
  • hold a valid passport

You can find further information here: The Icelandic Directorate Of Immigration



Other Visas

If you wish to travel to Iceland:

  • on a business trip
  • to holiday
  • study
  • intern
  • volunteer
  • work
  • or to immigrate

Then check out the relevant pages about Iceland on this website.

Iceland is a Schengen area country.  The Schengen Area comprises of 26 European countries that have eliminated passport and immigration controls at their common borders. The Schengen Area operates as a one country state (with a common visa policy) for the purposes of international travel purposes. With a Schengen visa, you may enter one country and travel freely throughout the Schengen zone. For more information see: Schengen Visa Information

Passport holders from a number of other countries are permitted to enter Iceland without a visa and stay for up to three months. A list of these countries can be found here: Icelandic Directorate of Immigration

Citizens of the European EFTA and EEA Member Countries do not require a visa or work permit in order to work and live in Iceland.

If you are not a European Union country passport holder then you will need to apply for the appropriate work and residency permits. The employer wishing to hire you must apply for the work permit on your behalf. If you wish to engage in voluntary work of a short term nature then you do not need a permit for this.

For more information see Icelandic Directorate of Immigration

We also suggest that you contact the nearest consulate or embassy of the country you wish to visit to ensure you have the most recent and accurate information.


, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Similar Posts
Latest Posts from The International Wanderer