• Select your destination

    Invalid Input


Working in USA

Employers in the United States are allowed to hire foreign workers provided it is of benefit to the U.S economy. Labour laws ensure that such employments do not adversely affect the U.S. worker. To be able to work in the country, you must have a visa, which is dependent on having a job offer first. The visas are divided into five categories starting with permanent labour at the top, then professional workers, temporary labour (seasonal agricultural) and temporary labour (non agriculture) and finally crewmembers. Depending on your skill set, an appropriate visa is issued.

After several years of slow economy, employers are now just beginning to start hiring again. There is an increase in the demand for housing which leads to the need for employees to build them. Professional degrees most in demanded include Finance, Computer, Accounting, Business management, and Information Sciences. 

While finding a job may not be easy for a newcomer to the U.S.A, with a little effort it is very achievable. The best option is to start with the multitude of online employment services or the local newspapers. The online sites have vast databases that you can use for free. Recruitment agencies are also an option, but they tend to be on the expensive side.

Students who wish to take a gap year or work just for a summer can join summer camps. The specifics differ, but jobs can range from counselling to teaching or work in the kitchen areas. Au Paining is also a common casual job for students in summer. Other options include work in amusement parks, retail stores, National Parks or even in hotels as staff.


Before you take off

Please contact us if you believe information on this page is incorrect, misleading or offensive, or if something important is missing.

The International Wanderer aims to provide you with up to date and accurate information. However, content is submitted by writers/wanderers from all over the globe. Sometimes we will get it wrong. Furthermore, working holiday and other visa opportunities and requirements (or numbers allocated) may change. New working holiday agreements are constantly being negotiated between countries. We suggest that you contact the nearest consulate or embassy of the country you wish to visit to ensure you have the most recent and accurate information. For further information about this website see our Terms & Conditions.